Search This Blog

Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Weekly Review: Final Fantasy 13-2

Hey guys,

sorry I haven't been posting lately, I have been OBSESSED with the new Final Fantasy. So I thought to myself, I might as well write my weekly review about it.

That's the logo right there, soak the awesomeness in

Can I just say? I haven't been able to play a game properly since I pre-ordered the Crystal Edition from EB, everything just seem so... inadequate compared to this. I mean, yes, there were good alternatives, but Final Fantasy is, and always will be, my favourite RPG series. Some may say I'm even a fanboy... (god, why would I admit to these things?) Now that there's a giant, red target on my back, I will now begin my review.

Firstly, I'll touch briefly on the first one, I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, but, I don't think it was their best work. Sure, they made some beautiful scenery, but you couldn't even really explore it, it was very linear, linear even for a, well, linear game. But the gameplay itself was inviting and fun.

And the soundtrack. Oh. My. God. Definitely my favourite video game soundtrack EVER. I've never heard anything with so much excitement and depth. I still listen to them on my iPod every now and then.

But sadly, I feel XIII-2 doesn't follow this trend. I found the music to be unfocused and too all over the place with it variety. Sure, I don't HATE the thing, but, I just feel like they were trying to be TOO out there with the experimenting with music thing. I'm just glad they threw an occasional track in there from Final Fantasy XIII in this game.

And the pre-order bonus was alot better than the first one. The Crystal Edition gave you alot considering you only paid an extra $15. You got the FULL soundtrack, an art book, a novella, free DLC, postcards and even a freakin' T-shirt (too bad they assumed I'm fat with it)

You also get this pretty box with it

The actual gameplay itself however, certainly has some improvements, but also some flaws with it too.

Think I'll start with the positives.

Monster Party Members: When I first heard that you could recruit monsters to join your team, I thought to myself: "oh great, this is gonna be shit then." But I was way off, I've found recruiting monsters is actually a shitload... of fun! They've given limitations really well too, it's not too restricting, but it doesn't just let you create an over-powered monster either (you could, just through lots and lots of infusions)

The Power of Choice: Live trigger conversations I found to be kinda amusing. I often got Serah to say alot of ditzy things. "Snow is my only family!" "Maybe the Fal'cie are just bored?" "Do you think my outfit would look better on you Yuj?" and so on and so forth. I know most have little impact on the story, but I still find them pretty cool.
Another note about the power of choice is you can easily replay a world you've already visited (from scratch too, as if you've never been there) I know how this could be appealing to perfections and platinum seekers, but as I am not one of them, this doesn't matter to me so much (but I still like having the option)

Characters: I've been reading that most people don't really like Serah and Noel all that much. But I think Square has done a decent job with them. I mean, yes, sometimes when Serah would talk I'd be like: "oh my god, could you be anymore stupid?" I mean, she's a school teacher in New Bodhum, I know I wouldn't trust her near my kids. But I think she was devoloped pretty well. And I just love Noel's backstory and his personality, he's a very chivalrous, but direct person. You just don't imagine those two traits going together, but they go pretty well with Noel.

And Caius, sure you had good intentions, but destroying the timeline ain't the way to go buddy. You ultimately evil bastard.

And as a little side note, I still chuckle when I use Mog throw, because I just find it hilarious when Mog struggles

Is it weird I find him oddly cute?

Those are the three main pros in my opinion, now for the cons

Story: The story in itself wasn't too bad, it was just easy to get lost in. I mean, yes, I do understand stories about time travel and paradoxes aren't exactly the easiest thing to tell. But could you at least alter the dialouge slighty if I hadn't found out that info yet? Like when I went to the Sunleth Waterscape instead of Yanchas Massif, Noel was like: "does she have the same power as Yuel?" At that point, I still didn't really know who she was yet so I was like: "uh.... what?"

Difficulty: I found this game very easy towards the mid-end portion of the game. I just found myself overpowered without any real grinding from me at all. Yes, and I know what you naysayers will say: "why don't you just try passing it with defaults?" or "why don't you just try passing it without using crystarium?" Well, you see, I like a challenge, not an impossiblity, I'm not THE best gamer out there you know?

Cliche Dialogue: As I was progressing through some scenes, sometimes what people said I thought to myself: "ugh, how did I know you were going to say that?" I know games need to have some predictability, but come out, I felt like some lines and scenes were very forced from some of the characters. It didn't really impact on my enjoyment to the game too much, but it still annoyed the crap outta me.

And those, my children, are my three main flaws in this game.

Overall, however, I thoroughly enjoyed this game, I can't wait for the character DLC to come, I really hope they finish the story with that, because I don't wanna buy XIII-3 -_- 

No comments:

Post a Comment